10/1/13

#subwaystories

Deeee Shaheen and Rem Harris
photo by Aaron Draper
I am in the process of creating an evening length piece based on real experiences commuting on the NYC subway. I have one section, a solo, dance by the lovely Danita Shaheen which explores the time I was waiting for a train that never came. I was already late for work and the frustration and anger continued to grow inside until I exploeded. I didn't hurt anyone or do anything crazy but I did loose my cool. That feeling of NOT being in control is what got me. No matter how early you try to be or no how much time you leave just in case, ultimately we are not in control of this transportation system.
The next section I am working on explores our growing connections to our phones/gadgets and the lessened connections with each other. I was standing so close to a gentleman on the L train a while back that I could smell his cologne, very awkward. But we never even spoke or made eye contact, just waited patiently until our stop came. I see the same people everyday at my stop, yet I don't know their names and they don't know mine. Would't it be nice to have a brief chat with these people and make some connections as opposed to listening the new Mumford and Sons album (no offense bro) on repeat again?
Just sayin'.
But then again everyone in NYC is cray, so…
Do you have any interesting NYC Subway stories???

No comments:

Post a Comment