11/18/12

The Reviews are in for "I Would"!!

This past week I performed with Racoco productions in the Women In Motion show which is the dance section of the 13th annual Estrogenius Festival. Did you get all that? The Estrogenius Festival is a celebration of female voices with dance, music, one woman shows, visual art, teen voices, and stand up. This piece was an incredible learning experience for me and I was so honored to be a part of this festival.

I have savored the opportunity to watch and participate in the development of this piece over the past year. As a classically trained dancer I am used to taking an idea or story and showing that subject through the movement generated by the choreographer, dancers, or both. I've done the interpretive dances and the 5,6,7,8 do the steps kind of dances but this one…..was different. I usually get to work on a piece in a very limited time frame for a specific performance. I learn the choreography and the choreographer will make their artistic changes until they are satisfied. After the performance the piece is done and just sort of lives in our memories. So depressing! But to develop an idea thoroughly, have performances and showings throughout AND have the time to go back and rework things was just heaven. We even created sets and costumes made entirely out of wood and sandpaper. Having created so much of the materials used in the piece evoked a different emotional relationship that I never experienced before. That's what ART should be all the time! Vast amounts of time to create with the opportunity for feedback and more exploration.
Now I'm getting the urge to create.

Peace and Love ya'll!
Click on the link below to read the full review!



One of the thrones used in the piece




Some of our wooden handmade armor.


Postcard from "I Would"
The King's throne

No comments:

Post a Comment